Our History

Home • Who We Are • History
1930

1930s

 

 

1930 North Carolinas Master Printers’ Association started.
1934 North Carolina Master Printer Printers’ Association, divides state into four districts.
1939 Stark Dillard asked that paper companies be allowed to contribute to the Association through Associate memberships – motion carried.

 

1940s

1940s

1940 Ink manufacturers granted admittance into Association as Associate Members.
1943 Decided to extend Association into South Carolina. Association changed the name to Carolinas Master Printers’ Association.
1945 Joseph J. Stone moved that the Board investigate becoming affiliated with Printing Industries of America. Motion carried. First Executive Secretary hired: A.S. Blankenship
1946 Association changed name to ‘The Printing Industry of the Carolinas, Inc.’ (PICA)
1947 First ever South Carolina annual meeting held in Myrtle Beach. June 7, 1947
1948 Eugene Salmon hired as Executive Secretary, headquartered in Columbia, SC
1949 Publication, PICA, started

 

 

1950s

1950s

1950 PICA agreed to affiliate with PIA.
1951 PICA affiliated with PIA
1954 First official logo adopted
1957 Best Printers’ Self-Advertising Contest starts, sponsored by Epes-Fitzgerald Paper Co.
1959 Board of Directors voted to continue a program to “interest young men in the printing industry throughout the Carolinas.”
1960s

1960s

 

1960 The concept of the Graphics Management Institute was first made
1961 Board agreed to list the Association’s telephone number in the telephone book to make it easier to contact PICA.
1962 the first talks were opened between PICA and the Printing Industry of Charlotte on merging. November 13, the PICA Foundation was incorporated.
1963 The PICA headquarters were moved from Columbia to Charlotte, NC. Gene Salmon retired October 31, 1963. The first biennial Carolinas Graphics Art Trade fair was held, the predecessor to The Charlotte Show, was held. PICA and PI-Charlotte merged, becoming the Printing Industry of the Carolinas, Inc., as one association October 8, 1963 Bill Treadaway hired as new Executive Secretary December 1, 1963.
1965 PICA’s seven geographic areas established
1966 the PICA Awards was established Dillard Paper Co., established Best of Show award. First Awards Chairperson was Margaret Earle of Greensboro Printing. First banquet held at The Grove Park Inn.
1967 PICA buys first building Charlotte
1968 PICA Awards moved from annual convention to a Printing Week celebration.
 

 

1970s

1970s

 

 

1970 “PICA” registered as a trademark with the U.S. Patent Office.
1975 Gwen Doster hired January 25th as “temporary help”
1977 Dillard Paper Co., contributes $50,000 to the PICA Foundation to establish an endowment fund for the Graphics Management Institute
1977 Emily Heck joins the PICA Staff
1979 Norman Foust Award established by the PICA Foundation

 

1980s

1980s

 

1980 Agreement finalized to commission Limited Edition prints of “Tools of Freedom” painting by artist Ward Nichols. Marketing by the PICA Foundation and proceeds to go to fund scholarships for graphic arts students
1981 Foundation begins considering building the PICA Education and Conference Center. Honorary memberships in PICA approved.
1982 The PICAScanner begins publication
1983 The Resume Register debuts.
1984 The PICA Building on Hawthorne Lane sold
1985 Freda Weese retires. The PICA Foundation establishes the PICA/Weese Scholarship Fund in her honor to assist deserving community college students studying graphic communications.
1986 GASC first expresses interest in purchasing the rights to The Charlotte Show. Construction begins on Education & Conference Center in Coffey Creek Business Park. First meeting of Small Printers’ Committee held.
1987 PICA moves into the new Education and Conference Center. Board unanimously votes to sell The Charlotte Show to GASC.
1988 Jimmy Cates retires from PICA
1989 The “Pride In Print’ program launches, complete with labels, presentation folders, logo sheets, apparel, hats, copyrighted: items sold nationwide.
1990s

1990s

 

1990 Bill Treadway retires. Tom Brennan appointed Interim President
1991
Jim Carpenter hired as PICA President
1993
Richard Spencer hired as PICA President
1994
The PICA Communications Technologies Resource Center (PCTRC) launches with Dr. Taz Tally as director. Lisa Johnson hired as Director of Communications and Susan Helbein hired as Director of Membership.
1995
Carrie Epps hired as Coordinator of Member Services and Jeff Stoudt as Director of Education
1997 
Terrie Duncan hired as Coordinator of Communications
1998
PrintForce workforce development initiative is unveiled.
1999
Angel Andersen joins PICA as first PrintForce Project Manager

 

2000s

2000s

 

2000 The PICAScanner reformatted into a four-color quarterly publication
2001 Peggy Howell hired as PrintForce Project Manager
2004 Gwen Doster named Interim Executive Director
2006 Jeff Stoudt named Interim Executive Director
2008 Jeff Stoudt named PICA President
2010 Gwen Doster retires December 31st. ‘The Gwen Doster Judges Choice Award’ created in her honor.
2011 Margie Farthing hired as Administrative Director
2015 Mac Papers sponsors Best of Show in PICA Awards
2016 PICA Awards celebrates 50 years.